Monday, August 15, 2011

Street Promotions




This past weekend I promoted LostMyV in downtown Boston by handing out some postcards. I designed the postcards such that anyone could write their story on the back if they felt compelled. I figured I would be a stranger to anyone I encountered, thus the experience would technically remain anonymous. I carried pens and a smile.


I forgot to remind myself that virginity is a hush-hush topic. This initial promotional experience was confirmation. A mix of responses accompanied my street promotions. Some people loved the idea, yet others shied away. Mothers lounging with their babies said they were not interested and young girls giggled amongst each other. Couples smiled awkwardly and groups of boys laughed.

One young mid-20s male with Ray-Bans and a black suit remarked, “You’d be surprised to hear that I’m still a virgin.” I must admit that I was startled. Not because he was good-looking, but because of his honesty.

I wonder what would compel people more to submit their story. Is face-to-face too confrontational? How can I make people – from all ages and sexual orientations - more comfortable talking about virginity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment